Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Review : Captain Merric by Rebecca Cohen







Author : Rebecca Cohen
Genre(s) : Historical gay romance
Publication Date : April 6th 2018 (2nd Edition)
My Rating(s) : 3/5 Stars




A tale of pirates, lost love, and the fight for a happy ending.

After he’s set adrift and left to die by his mutinous crew, the last person Royal Navy officer Daniel Horton expects to come to his rescue is Captain Merric. An infamous pirate, Merric is known as much for stealing his victims’ hearts as their jewels. Daniel’s world is about to be turned upside down when he recognises Captain Merric as none other than Edward Merriston, someone he thought he'd never see again.
Edward can’t believe Daniel Horton is aboard his ship. While Edward is willing to do anything he can to get a second chance at their happy ending, Daniel isn’t interested in digging up the past. But Daniel is one priceless treasure Captain Merric isn’t about to let go of without a fight.

Captain Merric first appeared as short story in a pirate-themed anthology. Now completely rewritten and extended he is ready to set sail again.




No one has ever come close to replacing you, no one ever will... 

I completely intrigued by the cover when I decided to read this book. The blurb also interesting enough to lure my curiosity.

The first few chapters was really intriguing, but later I found that I have sense of déjà vu feeling with some scenes from the book that reminds me of another historical book I've read years ago also about pirate but it's straight romance. I was trying to remember the book almost the entire reading but cannot picturing the title until I finished the book (but I do remember the pirate name was Tristan!). The pond and waterfall scenes, the mansion, the housekeeper and the first bath scene on the bath tube feels so familiar to me. But maybe it's all just a coincidence, right?

The story itself actually quite interesting about second chance love with some hot scenes here and there mix with a bit misunderstanding from the past that need to be clarifies, oh and I do like the ending when they finally have their HEA after the long journey, but  in the end the story still not strong enough to impress me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment