Pages

Friday, March 23, 2018

Review : Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli





Title : Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda 
Author : Becky Albertalli
Genre(s) : Contemporary, Gay Romance, Young Adult, LGBTQ+ 
Published : April 7th 2015
My Rating : 3 out of 5 Stars




Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.




Because of Blue. Even though he’s just words on a laptop screen. It’s just that I also kind of feel like he’s my boyfriend...


This book had been sitting on my reader for so long and I've been 'avoiding' to read it with no specific reason. I just feel 'the time was not right' each time I stumbled into it. 

I know a lot of my friends had read it and say good things about this book and push me (well, it's more like 'forced' me sometimes!) to read it. But I keep saying, 'Later....'.

When the movie 'Love, Simon' finally released and seeing a lot of euphoria about the movie everywhere, I suddenly think that maybe it's about time I give the book a chance. So, I spent my weekend devouring the book.

And what can I say after I finished it is that the story is really cute and very refreshing complete with all typical normal teenagers problems around school, friendships and love. But this story also bring the coming out issue of the young gay guy named Simon with all the accepting side from the people surround him and also the bullies that up to the surface by few homophobic people at school.

Instead full of angst, the story feels so light with comedy and humor touch almost the entire reading. And it's good to (FINALLY) found a very fresh young adult gay story that come with no angst and happy ending.

I've been curious about Blue real identify the whole reading and keep trying to guessing who the Blue is. And I must admit that is one aspect that made the story interesting until the very last page. How the author build the curiosity by dropping the clues here and there and let the readers playing with their minds through her writing is good.

And I have this big grinning smiles when Blue's identity FINALLY revealed!!! Damn!!

I think, the only character I 'hate' in this story is Martin. I hate him for what he did to Simon. And I still hate him even after I finished the book!

But if there's no Martin, then Simon's story will NEVER exist!
So, thanks Martin, but sorry, man, cuz it didn't change the fact that I still hate you! 

Now, I can't wait to watch the movie and meet Simon and all his friends, and joining the euphoria of Love, Simon!

No comments:

Post a Comment