Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Review : Too Close by R. Phoenix





Title : Too Close
Author : R. Phoenix
Genre(s) : Contemporary gay romance, M/M Romance
Published : December 30th 2016
My Rating(s) : 4 out of 5 Stars




Skylar Orion's life has been complicated ever since his mother abandoned him and his sister Evie. Making ends meet seemed impossible until Tate Chandler took them in -- his knight in shining armor who promised to make life about more than just surviving. But Tate is not the man he seemed to be, and even his whispered I love yous and generous gifts do little to soothe the pain he causes. Knowing he can't give his sister all that she deserves without Tate, Skylar stays with him, relying on bad puns and a worse sense of humor to keep up the charade.

For his sister he will do anything, even if that means acting the responsible adult and going back to his old high school to meet Dexter Weston, the hot math teacher who can make even algebra interesting. Sparks fly between the two of them, but with his dependence on Tate, Skylar isn't free to follow his heart. He wants what is best for Evie, but can he pass up the chance to find love that heals instead of harms?

Warning: Graphic Domestic Abuse and Violence. 





I can’t do this for me – I don’t deserve better, a rancorous voice in the back of my mind suggests – but I can do it for her. I’ll always be strong for Evie. 

...because what I need doesn’t really matter...


After being abandon by their mother, Skylar must took care of his sister, Evie, leave school and whore himself to keep the food to their mouth to stay alive. He need to give a roof and steady live so that they didn't ended in foster care. 

Tate’s been paying to fuck him since he was seventeen before they finally came into 'an agreement'. Offering his house as comfortable place to stay with Evie in exchange for his body. How can he say no?

Because he will do anything to keep his sister safe and give her good education that he'll never have, even if that's means he must become Tate's 'personal whore' and endured his possessive-abusive behavior and keep it all to himself.

Then come Dexter,  his sister math teacher. There's something in Dexter that stir something in Skylar that had long died along with what Tate had done to him.

The spark between them really hard to denied, but Skylar won't risk what he feels with if that means he must leave Tate house with nothing in hands and jeopardize Evie's future. No need to risk his heart with love, right?

But when Tate abusive behavior getting worst and brutal, will he finally have the courage to say enough and leave?

I decided to read this book because the blurb succeed drawn my curiosity due to the promising premise that the story will be full of angst and dark even the book cover didn't look eye catching enough to please my coverslut eyes. But later when I finished the book, I finally understand the correlations between the new growing plant in the cover with the story the author trying to tell. And I think it perfect!

R. Phoenix is a new author to me and Too Close is my first book of her which surprisingly the writing suit my liking. I like the story and how Dexter help Skylar, loving him but at the same time also give Skylar the space to gained back his self confidence & self control after being used and abused by Tate. Help him stand on his own feet and healed before the both jump into the next step in their relationship. All was very well written with good pace. And that's what I think made this story worth to read. 

There are actually few questions that still playing in my mind after I finished the book about some things that feels not quite right here and there, but overall, the story was good enough and the writing also fine, and I didn't care much about the 'missing things' because in the end I gave my rare four stars to this book.


🍒🍒🍒


Review copy is kindly provided by the Author in exchange of a fair, unbiased and honest review.



No comments:

Post a Comment