Pages

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Review : His Heart by Claire Kingsley





Title : His Heart
Author : Claire Kingsley
Genre(s) : Contemporary Romance, abuse, college
Published : November 8th 2017
My Rating : 4 Stars




Brooke Summerlin’s life is like a Cinderella story. Raised by an abusive, drug addicted mother, she desperately hides the truth about where she comes from. But Prince Charming arrives in the form of Liam, the most popular guy at school. He sweeps into her life and carries her away to what is supposed to be a happily ever after.

Until it isn’t.

Sebastian McKinney is the son of an Iowa state champion wrestler, and that’s what he’s going to be. Wrestling is his life. He’s focused. Determined. Nothing will stand in his way.

Except a silent illness that almost kills him.

Brooke’s greatest tragedy becomes Sebastian’s second chance at life. Four years later, he’s moving forward, his body healthy, while she is left to sink in grief that threatens to drown her. Haunted by a past she can’t escape.

But sometimes love transcends the boundaries of life and death—between what is known and what cannot be explained. The heart that loved Brooke continues to beat, and even now, it still beats for her. 





“This heart is yours. It always was, and I’m grateful every day that it led me to you.”

I usually don't read straight contemporary romance again since my preference had changed years ago. But this book cover and blurb had caught my attention and made me curious. So, I decided to give this book a try...

I really didn't want to spill any spoilers about this book because all the feels that the book gave me when I'm reading it.
So instead of trying to 'retelling' the story with my own words, I decided to focusing on what I feels during the reading...

Claire Kingsley definitely a new author to me and I found out that her writing pretty good and suit to my liking. Simply but deep enough to make me feels the MC's emotions and their struggling. Good characters development was the other plus I gave to this book. How the MC's facing their own 'trauma' and deal with it feels so logic & believable. 

The slow pace with good plotting was another plus points that made this book feels so intense. The story itself divided into three part and each phase was telling Brooke and Liam's story and Sebastian story as part of 'the before', and the last part telling us the story about how Brooke and Sebastian meet which I called is as 'the after'. And this is the part when the author playing with the reader feels way more 'intense'.

I can't denied that I do 'hate' Brooke at some part, for keep pushing away people who truly love and care for her. But I tried to put myself on Brooke's shoes and ask myself 'what will I do if what happen to Brooke happen to me', and then I start to see things differently. That 'letting go' was NOT the easy things to do. Brooke NEED to letting go, but in the process, she NEED someone who could make her see the future and make her feel ALIVE again...

I actually have read a book that feels similar to this one years ago, about 'the heart that still knowing his love ones even fate had made them apart', but I must admit that this one feels way more intense and the 'journey' feels a bit longer.



His Heart definitely a long emotional reading, but it totally worth your time.

RECOMMENDED!




No comments:

Post a Comment