Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2017

ARC Review : Starting From Scratch (Housemates #5) by Jay Northcote




Title: Starting from Scratch
Author: Jay Northcote
Publisher: Jaybird Press (self published)
Length: 57,000 words approx
Genre: Contemporary m/m romance/erotica, transgender, new adult
Cover Artist: Garrett Leigh
Release Date: Wednesday 12th April 2017
Series info: Housemates #5
My Rating : 4.5 of 5 Stars






Starting over isn’t easy, but Ben is ready to live his life as the man he was always meant to be.

Ben is transgender and back at university after hormone treatment and chest surgery. His new housemates have no idea about his history and Ben would prefer to keep it that way. He’s starting from scratch and his life is finally on track, except in the romance department. The idea of dating guys as a guy is exhilarating but terrifying, because if Ben wants a boyfriend he’ll have to disclose his secret.

Sid is drawn to Ben from the moment they meet. He normally gets what he wants—in the short term at least. Ben’s guarded at first, and Sid’s not used to guys rejecting his advances. He eventually charms his way through Ben’s defences and helps Ben on his journey of sexual awakening.

It doesn’t matter to Sid that Ben is trans. He’s attracted to the whole person, and isn’t worried about what is—or isn’t—in Ben’s pants. They’re good together, and both of them are falling hard and fast, but Ben’s insecurities keep getting in the way. If Sid can convince Ben he's committed, will Ben finally be able to put his heart on the line?


Although this book is part of the Housemates series, it has new main characters, a satisfying happy ending, and can be read as a standalone.







You made me feel like a man....



***

Ben had stolen my curiosity since he first appear in Shawn & Jude story. And when later I know that Ben is actually a Transman, my curiosity grew even more!

I must admit, in years I've read gay romance, I mostly read only cis gay man story. But I start to diverse my reading with more various characters. My last three reading that I choose randomly turn out to have the MC's with strong feminine characters, two of them are drag queen.
In the past, I must admit that I usually avoiding reading books with strong feminine characters, but these past two years I decided to add more 'colors' to my preference. And surprisingly, I LOVE IT!

So, Starting from Scratch not only important to Jay, but also for me. Because it's actually my first time reading a book with transgender character in it. And since I know Jay and following his story, It excited me even more...

When I read a book, I usually put myself into one MC's shoes to drawn myself deeper to the book, put my emotional attached to the MC and feels what this character felt. I laugh when they're happy, cry when they're sad, feels their frustration, their insecurity or their fears. That's why some reading ended way to emotional for me...

When I read Ben's story, I try to put myself in Ben's shoes. I got this strong personal 'connection' with Ben as soon as I started the book. Trying to understand what he'd been through, all the struggles, and feels his insecurity. I admiring his courage to brave himself open up to Sid and fight his own fears and be happy. And that's why this book become a bit emotional reading to me, because I become emotionally attached to the story.

Jay succeed put the emotions into the book and made us 'feel' it. Everything put perfectly right on it portion in this story and that what makes this book so special.

Another things I like from this story is Sid. I adored him for what he did to Ben and for 'accepting' and 'listening'. I just wish I have someone like Sid in my life who love and accepted me for who I am.

Last, but not least...

What excited me reading The Housemates series is when Jay put a hints on which character he'll write for the next book in the middle of the story. 
And YASSS! Johnny and his feminine gothic look had (successfully) caught my eyes and made me curious for more! 
Now I really cannot wait to 'meet' HIM!!!



ARC is kindly provided by the Author in exchange of a fair and honest review.












The Housemates Series is a collection of standalone stories set around a student house in Britain. This new adult series focuses on themes of self-discovery and sexual awakening.

Amazon Links :







Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website content.

One day, Jay decided to try and write a short story—just to see if he could—and found it rather addictive. He hasn’t stopped writing since.

Jay writes contemporary romance about men who fall in love with other men. Jay has five books published by Dreamspinner Press, and he also self-publishes under the imprint Jaybird Press. Many of his books are now available as audiobooks.

Jay is transgender and was formerly known as she/her.





No comments:

Post a Comment