Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Review : Until the End of Time by Nicky James





Title : Until the End of Time
Author : Nicky James
Genre(s) : Historical Romance, Gay Romance
Published : December 9th 2016, August 29th 2017 (Re-issued)
My Rating : 5 of 5 Stars 





Being a gay man in eighteen twenty-seven, England was not only frowned upon but punishable by death. Magistrate Simon Stockley would know. He’d convicted men in his courtroom and sentenced them himself. Every time, it left a vile taste in his mouth because Simon was no different than the men whose lives he claimed. 

Overcompensating for his secret, fearing discovery, Simon walked the straight and narrow with everything he did. Being overly cautious with life was second nature to him. The consequences of being discovered were among his worst fears. Sadly, this was his life and he accepted it. 

Until one cold day in October when James Hansen was led into his courtroom. 
Blinded by the fire in James’ eyes and the energy seething from his core, Simon’s entire life was thrown upside down. One cursory glance at the criminal and nothing would ever be the same again.

Problem. 

James’ crimes were severe and his punishment was death. However, there was something about him that Simon couldn’t put his finger on. Despite all sensibility, Simon couldn’t let him go.

Maybe some things were worth the risk. 

Maybe rules were meant to be broken.

Secrets were wonderful… until someone found out the truth.










For all my life, I would never forget the day I first looked into that man’s eyes. It was like staring upon heaven itself on a clear summer day and I could swear to you on my parents’ graves, the angels sang to me just then.


🍀🍀🍀


Where have you been?!

I can't believe I let this book sitting on my e-reader for THAT long! 

I've been 'avoiding' to pick this book each time I want to start a new book. No, not because the blurb didn't 'intrigued' me, the fact is I KNOW that this book will be 'something'! So I keep waiting for 'the right' time to read it.

And last night, out of the blue, I just pick this book and start to read it with no hesitation.

I read it in one sit and once I start it...the book 'pulled me in' and I don't want to put it down...

The story was beautiful...

Starting with this newly marriage couple, Eric and Dylan on their honeymoon and stopped by to this historic mansion at Hastings.

Eric, who has hopeless romantic heart insisting his husband, Dylan to join the tour because the romantic story behind the old mansion.

Then, when the tour guide start to spil the story behind it, time then moved back to Oxford in 1827, where this sadly beautiful story begin...

The author then brought the reader to the forbidden love story between the young magistrate and this criminal who been accused in buggery.

Since Simon first laid his eyes to the criminal with pale blue eyes which stand before him in courtroom, he already knew, that this young man will 'ruined' him. But he can't denied the feels that make him hard to breathe. With all the risk, Simon then find a way to 'abducted' the young man from being sent to the colony or being hanged to death.

Simon then bring James to his mansion and make him stay there as his 'servant'.

But things was not that easy when James with his anger keep asking him 'the why'.

Not ready to give an explanations, Simon then let James flash his anger to him but make him understand that 'this is the only way to keep him safe'.

The story consumed me right from the start. The push and pull emotions between the two makes the story really hard to put down. 

One thing that always 'frightened' me each time I read gay historical romance is the never ending questions "Will they get caught?". And we all know what will happen with gay men at that time when they get caught, right? 

And like a mantra, the questions keep playing in my head, the tensions successfully put my heart beat faster almost the entire reading...

The book was beautifully written with slow pace, good plotting and the lovable characters that will stay linger in your heart forever...

Until the End of Time is a sadly-beautiful love story through the time that will warm your heart.

Did I cried? Oh hell yeah!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!



No comments:

Post a Comment