Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2018

ARC REVIEW : Edge of Living by H.L. Day





Title : Edge of Living
Author : H.L. Day
Genre(s) : contemporary gay romance, psychological trauma with trigger warning alert
Publication Date : October 28th 2018
Rating : 4/5 Stars
Buy Links : Amazon 





Sometimes, death can feel like the only escape. 

It's been a year since Alex stopped living. He exists. He breathes. He pretends to be like everyone else. But, he doesn't live. Burdened by memories, he dreams of the day when he can finally be free. Until that time comes, he keeps everybody at bay. It's been easy so far. But he never factored in, meeting a man like Austin.

Hard-working mechanic Austin has always gone for men as muscular as himself. So, it's a mystery why he's so bewitched by the slim, quiet man with the soulful brown eyes who works in the library. The magnetic attraction is one thing, but the protective instincts are harder to fathom. Austin's sure though, that if he can only earn Alex's trust then the two of them could be perfect together.

A tentative relationship begins. But Alex's secrets run deep. Far deeper than Austin could ever envisage. Time is ticking. Events are coming to a head, and love is never a magic cure. Oblivious to the extent of Alex's pain, can Austin discover the truth? Or is he destined to be left alone, only able to piece together the fragments of his boyfriend's history, once its already too late?

Trigger warning: Please be aware that this story deals with suicidal ideation. If this is a subject you find uncomfortable, then I would not recommend you reading this book.




I copy people. Copy their normality because I can’t remember what it feels like anymore; it's been way too long since I experienced it. I watch people. I borrow their mannerisms. I borrow their smiles and their laughter, and use them as emotional armor. 


Since the first time I saw the book cover, I must admit that it’s intrigued me in a way I cannot explain. It’s like the book had ‘called’ me and I cannot turn it down…
When I read the blurb, I just knew that this book will gonna be something and I NEED it!

To whoever had read The Silver CageI need to warn you that this book give me a dejavu feeling with that book when I read it, BUT of course with the different ending...

I love story with dark and contain psychological trauma in it. Some books end well and give me satisfaction, but there’s some I found failed in bringing the emotions down and deep into the reader heart and only playing at the surface then turned into a meh reading after blabbing about the potential of being triggered something to reader about some kind of trauma.

This book, surprisingly – successfully gripping me right from the beginning and succeed anxious me at nearly end of it!

The story start with very slow pacing and successfully keep the mystery about what happened to Alex back then stay on board by revealing it piece by piece through the flashbacks. I can feel the story kinda lost it grip somewhere in the middle but so glad that it finally gained back the grip with full of emotional tension at nearly end of the book and ended satisfyingly good.

Edge of Living is an emotional read with a warning of suicidal matters that may caused uncomfortable subject to some readers. But I found that this book also give you a show of unconditional love that will warmed your heart.

H.L. Day is a new author to me, but I found that the writing – surprisingly -  suit my liking. Edge Of Living maybe my first book of her that I read, but definitely won’t be the last!

Recommended with warning!



No comments:

Post a Comment