Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

ARC REVIEW : The Fall (Love In O'Leary #1) by May Archer






Title: The Fall

Author: May Archer
Genre(s): contemporary gay romance
Series: Love In O'Leary, book 1
Release Date: September 26th 2018
Rating : 3/5 Stars
Buy Link : Amazon 






I was in free fall the moment we met, and I just keep falling.”


Small town police officer Silas Sloane knows every resident of O’Leary, New York. He’s earned the love and respect of its citizens, though living under the small-town microscope grates on him. But though he’s good at his job, there’s one thing he’s not good at: commitments… Until Everett.


Widower Everett Maior, O’Leary’s newest citizen, came to the small town kicking and screaming. He never wanted to become primary caretaker for his grandfather, and has no interest in living the provincial life. Snarky and superstitious, he’s proficient at keeping people at a distance... Until he lays eyes Officer Silas Sloane.


Strange, unsettling occurrences are plaguing O’Leary, though. As danger looms, Silas and Everett find their growing attraction undeniable. But can they remain safe…and together…despite everything that threatens to tear them apart?






I’m totally curious which couple/characters from The Date who will get the first spotlight in the first book from Love In O'Leary series by May Archer. So, when it turned out that Silas/Si Sloane, the hot smexy small town police officer from the prequel who will be the first to take the spotlight, it intrigued me even more.


The premise of the story looks so good, the grieving theme the author trying to bring into the surface is interesting enough to read, but unfortunately it’s not enough to play my emotions during the reading. I like the banters but I didn't feel a strong connection between Ev and Si like what I expected to be. The sparks between the two MCs was just so-so for me, but the push and pull games between Si and Ev is one thing that I like here, the sexual innuendos was 'there' since the beginning but still not convincing enough for me to light up the mood. The suspense the author trying to build through mysterious disappearance of the campers and the possibility of serial killer issues that roaming in the woods and the twist at nearly end of the story didn’t help much to add more stars to my review.


Silas's changing from a commitment phobic into someone who crave a steady relationship after he met Ev is another things that I like from this book, but on the contrary, Everett 'uncertainty' a bit annoying me at some part.


This book still as confusing as the prequel with a lot secondary characters that trying to grab the spotlight and I must admit it a bit dulling the MCs part. I still struggling in memorizing the 'who is who' almost the entire reading and need to back and forth to the previous page (or even reopen the prequel book, The Date!) to digging some information about the secondary characters that shown up as the fellow ‘towny people’ or those who become the inner circle in this series who have constant interaction with the main MCs.


Overall, the story quite promising enough especially with the interesting opening that gave me a bit goosebumps sensation at the beginning, but as I dive more deep into the story, it turned out that the story was far from what I expected and ended as an okay reading for me. I'm sure there's a lot of people out there who will love this book better than I do, but unfortunately this book didn't work well with me. Or maybe it’s just ME who can’t relate with the story quite well...


So, the next question is, will I still interested in continuing this series?


Well…if the next book will be about Daniel Michaelson, I think I can give this series another try…

Because this guy definitely made me curious and I want to know MORE about him!



No comments:

Post a Comment