Pages

Monday, February 13, 2017

ARC Review : Addicted by Mark Summers



Title : Addicted
Author : Mark Summers
Genre : Contemporary Gay Romance, M/M Romance
Published Date : December 16th 2016
Rating : 3 Stars




“I’m not sure I’ve ever loved anyone, but if love means feeling like the Earth is going to eat you whole at the thought of never seeing them again, if love means feeling unable to be yourself without the one you love, then maybe that’s what I’m starting to feel for you.”

“I don’t want to mend you. I just want to be there for you while you do it yourself.”

Noah is 23 years old and a big brother. That’s probably how he would describe himself, since no job is as important as being a big brother to Jimmy, all while struggling with the depression and anxiety he’s learned to control the best he can. He’s lived in the same small town his entire life, kept away both from danger and pleasure, and everything else the world has to offer.

Daniel is a 30 year-old third-grade teacher with a secret. Apparently perfect, damage and addiction hide behind his fabricated front. He’s troubled, he’s mean, he’s controlling and dominant. And most importantly, he’s straight. He doesn’t love anything besides his job, and his human interactions consist of using people to satisfy his needs.

When life brings Noah and Daniel together, a peculiar arrangement is formed, pushing both men to new limits. Will Noah learn to step out of his comfort zone and take control of his life? Will Daniel defeat his demons?

The characters in this book are flawed and troubled, but they do their best as they try to figure out their lives, learning about addiction, lust, and love, and falling for each other in the process.

Addicted is a steamy, standalone gay-for-you romance novel with a HEA. It contains scenes that are only suitable for adult readers.




I knew for a fact that I wasn’t gay. I wasn’t completely attracted to Noah either, but there were some things about him – his personality, the air around him – that drove me nuts.

✳✳✳

Being gay and living in small town when all the people know each other life under their nose was not easy. And having a crush on his little brother's teacher wasn't a good thing for Noah. Add to the fact that the teacher is straight.

In his early twenty, Noah has enough complicated life to live.

When the author offer me to review his book, I accepted it because GFY is my thing.
I'm so excited to devour this book but also a bit curious at the same time because the author was new to me and reading a book from new author definitely a challenge for me.

So? Curious, nervous and excited, that's all what I feel.

The first few part of the story i found really interesting. The pace kinda slow, but I like how it goes when Noah start to crushing over Mr. Harris and try to hide his attraction and feels to him, the giddy feeling, the shyness, the eagerness to have Mr. Harris attention enough to make those butterflies dancing in my tummy.
When Mr. Harris start to 'notice' Noah and have strange attraction to the young guy, the butterflies in my tummy went crazy.

But then there's something about this Mr. Harris that make me feels not quite 'right'. Even with all the 'reason' revealed nearly the end of the book still cannot convinced me enough to accept what had happened.

Mr. Harris dominance and his  disrespectful act to Noah start to annoying me to the level 'I can barely tolerate anymore'.
And Noah naively accepted all that irritated me even more.

I've read about a dominance character in a story before and I don't have problem with all that dominance thing, but I think there's something not quite 'right' about Mr. Harris dominance and demanding act to Noah. Something is missing here and I can't explained the 'what or why'.

I expect more on the story, but seems it's not fulfill my expectations.
I hope for something more or at least can bring me the feels, but I can't get it.

One thing that keep the rating from further falls is the bond between Noah and his little brother, jimmy. It worth in very heartwarming way...


ARC is kindly provided by the Author in exchange of a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment